Sunday, January 09, 2005

La Vida en Familia

I have a house, and new padres! (NEW ADDRESS/PHONE BELOW) On Friday we met our families and moved in. I was really nervous, but after meeting Patricio and Yolanda, I was so relieved. Patricio is a retired architect who now dedicates himself to fixing up the house and developing his artistic side. Yolanda is a pedagogical psychologist who works with kids with learning disorders. They have twin 32 year old sons, Patricio II and David, as well as Daniel, who´s 26. Dani and Patricio live together in NYC. I met David and his 2 kids yesterday; Antonio is 6 yo and Maria Julia is 4 yo. Yoli (short for yolanda) tells me the kids come over every weekend. They are super adorable and talk non-stop so we had a good time playing outside and practicing our English. They ¨taught¨ me the English words for all the animals:). The first night I was here, I gave the padres the little gifts I´d brought, and then we stayed up talking about just about everything for like 3 hours. Already speaking Spanish really does make the getting-to-know-you thing easier! At first I was a little apprehensive about being the only kid in the house, but the relatives visit often and Yoli and Patricio seem so easy to get along with that I think it will be great. Oh, there will also be a Swiss woman living here for 2 months, so we´ll have an international little house! Her name is Marianne Peterson and she gets here Wednesday. I´ll try to put up pics of my house, padres, university, etc sometime this week. Turns out I do have internet here at home, but I don´t want to be on the computer a lot, so maybe once a week I´ll try to update.
One more great thing about this house is that I´m the closest of all the BCA students to the bus line we use to get to school. Olé! Even better is that Raq lives only a 15 minute walk away. I should be getting plenty of exercise here; my room is on the 3rd floor of the house and there are a couple very pretty parks right near us. Oh, I´ll put my new address and phone number below if anyone would like to get in touch with me.

TEL: 011-593-2-245-9621
ADDRESS: HILARY MAYHEW
PROGRAMAS INTERNACIOLES BCA
UNIVERSIDAD SAN FRANCISCO DE QUITO
CAMPUS CUMBAYA
PO BOX 17-12-841
QUITO, ECUADOR

Mail here isnt too reliable we´ve been told, or at least not very expeditious, so packages are probably not a great idea. Anyway, I´ve discovered that they do have peanutbutter here! Glad i brought my own cuz it´s expensive, but there are 2 malls not too far from my house that have just about anything I could need.
En fin, hope you are all having a fabulous time back in the States, and drop me a note now and then.
Much love!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?