About Me
- Name: Well
- Location: Washington, DC, United States
I'm not good at journaling. But I do like my Mac. And I often have random bits of ideas float through my head that I wish I could pin down in a portable format. Hence, this blog: a place for outward commentary, and digital logging of things I might want to remember later.
Links
Archives
Sunday, January 02, 2005
NYC
Well Christmas break was here and gone already! I had a great time. Right after finals I went to Maryland to see my uncle, his wife, and my 3 cousins. I haven't seen them since last Oct so that was fun. Bri is now a h.s. senior so we had plenty of college talk. I went to Juli's 8th grade band concert, and I took comfort that at least 5th grade Leigh is not yet taller than me! (I'm sure she will be by the next time I see her...so unfair). We took a weekend trip up to New York City, a first time visit for me and I was excited! We had a great time. Our hotel was within walking distance of Times Square so we walked around there, as well as Rockefeller Center, the Planza Hotel, Trump Tower (his name is on everything, including the zamboni in Central Park). Great restaruants (Greek food right across from the hotel- yum! I tried my first baclava and melted), colorful people, fun with the family. And, a major hi-lite, we saw Lion King on Broadway!! It was just as incredible as everyone says it is. Add me to the list of raving praisers. It was really beautiful, and when we came out of the show I called home and told the parents, "Hi, yeah we just got out of broadway and we're in, um, Times Square." Then I heard myself say that and couldn't believe it. It may be cliche, but seeing a Broadway show was on my list of things to do in my lifetime, and Time Square is such an iconic setting; it seemed a little surreal.
Anyway, we also did a quick taxi "tour" of the city: drove by Wall Street, Ground Zero, Battery Park (where we saw Lady Liberty from afar). The top of the list for places to visit for Bri was Canal Street, and I could have spent a whole day there too. That's where all the vendors are selling knock-off Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, everything-else-designer merchandise. What a teeming mass of humanity we encountered on a Saturday afternoon in December as well! It was kind of exhausting, but fun. Next we hit 5th Avenue, to walk through the real stores of the designers we'd just seen imitated. Kind of ironic. $2600 lil black purse anyone? How about a $999 lil black purse, on sale? That kind of material excess was pretty astounding. Think I'll stick with my $18 imitation. We spent an evening ice skating in Central Park, followed by a carriage ride, and finished the visit with a trip to FAO Schwartz and Time Square again. I had a phenomenal time and would like to give a big THANK YOU! to Uncle Brian and Kathy for taking me along. I had lots of fun w/ the cousins and got to add another state to my list. I'm up to 25 now! I definitely hope to go back; I could have spent weeks there.
Anyway, we also did a quick taxi "tour" of the city: drove by Wall Street, Ground Zero, Battery Park (where we saw Lady Liberty from afar). The top of the list for places to visit for Bri was Canal Street, and I could have spent a whole day there too. That's where all the vendors are selling knock-off Prada, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany, everything-else-designer merchandise. What a teeming mass of humanity we encountered on a Saturday afternoon in December as well! It was kind of exhausting, but fun. Next we hit 5th Avenue, to walk through the real stores of the designers we'd just seen imitated. Kind of ironic. $2600 lil black purse anyone? How about a $999 lil black purse, on sale? That kind of material excess was pretty astounding. Think I'll stick with my $18 imitation. We spent an evening ice skating in Central Park, followed by a carriage ride, and finished the visit with a trip to FAO Schwartz and Time Square again. I had a phenomenal time and would like to give a big THANK YOU! to Uncle Brian and Kathy for taking me along. I had lots of fun w/ the cousins and got to add another state to my list. I'm up to 25 now! I definitely hope to go back; I could have spent weeks there.