About Me
- Name: Well
- Location: Washington, DC, United States
I'm not good at journaling. But I do like my Mac. And I often have random bits of ideas float through my head that I wish I could pin down in a portable format. Hence, this blog: a place for outward commentary, and digital logging of things I might want to remember later.
Links
Archives
Sunday, February 20, 2005
Last weekend
was good times. I think it was Tuesday after we got back from the jungle that we called up Diana Diaz' (an Ecuadorian friend who goes to GC) sisters and finally got to meet them. Pamela came and took us on a tour of the Centro Histórico and then to a café, where we met her sister Vanessa and V's boyfriend Pablo. They were all so nice; we had a great time joking around with them and chatting about random things. Plus the café is on a mountian, Ichimbía (I think) and it had a gorgeous view of the city lights. Vanessa is 22 and works as a French/Spanish translator for an oil company (she lived in France for a year) and Pablo is a Business Administration major who recently graduated. They just opened up an empanadas place last month together.
Friday then, Liz, Kathleen, Raq and I went to see an Ecuadorian independent film called Jaque (which means check, like in chess), after Raq and I spent the afternoon shopping. I needed jeans and she needed a jacket, plus stuff for school. Anyway, the movie was not very good, and later Ann called to invite us out with her and some Ecuadorian guys she knows, but I was out of money, Liz was injured from soccer, and Raq didn't feel like it. So I came home at around 11, not yet tired, and proceeded to listen to music and look thru *all* of my pictures saved on my laptop. Not a good idea! I got all nostalgic, missing GC/Kansas friends and my fam. Love you all! Sat. was good tho. I got to play with the grandkids in the morning and eat lunch with them and my host brother/sister-in-law, and then Vanessa came and got us (Raq and I) in the afternoon. She took us to her restaurant and fed us delicious empanadas for free. Yummmm. Must get recipes. Then we drove to her family's house in Valle de los Chillos, about 40mins from Quito. We played ping-pong, ate some more, played Pictionary, and just hung out. Rebeca and Juan, their parents, were super nice too. It was great to hang out with Ecuadorians and to get to know Diana's family. Juan had to ask us if we thought Diana *really was doing okay, because you can just never be sure from so far away. Such a dad:).
Sunday was interesting too. Vanessa dropped us off at the Mennonite church and we were there to meet the group of Ohio Mennonites that had come to visit and help build a school for indigenous children in another city. The visiting pastor was a GC-grad who went to Costa Rica on SST, so he preached about Lent in Spanish and Raq and I took turns translating the service into English for the rest of the nonSpanish-speaking group. It was simultaneous translation (where the speaker and the translator are speaking at the same time) which was interesting, a little exhausting, but pretty fun. We stayed for the potluck lunch, which was good, but soon we'd had enough English so we headed home, for the dreaded Sunday afternoon of homework.
Friday then, Liz, Kathleen, Raq and I went to see an Ecuadorian independent film called Jaque (which means check, like in chess), after Raq and I spent the afternoon shopping. I needed jeans and she needed a jacket, plus stuff for school. Anyway, the movie was not very good, and later Ann called to invite us out with her and some Ecuadorian guys she knows, but I was out of money, Liz was injured from soccer, and Raq didn't feel like it. So I came home at around 11, not yet tired, and proceeded to listen to music and look thru *all* of my pictures saved on my laptop. Not a good idea! I got all nostalgic, missing GC/Kansas friends and my fam. Love you all! Sat. was good tho. I got to play with the grandkids in the morning and eat lunch with them and my host brother/sister-in-law, and then Vanessa came and got us (Raq and I) in the afternoon. She took us to her restaurant and fed us delicious empanadas for free. Yummmm. Must get recipes. Then we drove to her family's house in Valle de los Chillos, about 40mins from Quito. We played ping-pong, ate some more, played Pictionary, and just hung out. Rebeca and Juan, their parents, were super nice too. It was great to hang out with Ecuadorians and to get to know Diana's family. Juan had to ask us if we thought Diana *really was doing okay, because you can just never be sure from so far away. Such a dad:).
Sunday was interesting too. Vanessa dropped us off at the Mennonite church and we were there to meet the group of Ohio Mennonites that had come to visit and help build a school for indigenous children in another city. The visiting pastor was a GC-grad who went to Costa Rica on SST, so he preached about Lent in Spanish and Raq and I took turns translating the service into English for the rest of the nonSpanish-speaking group. It was simultaneous translation (where the speaker and the translator are speaking at the same time) which was interesting, a little exhausting, but pretty fun. We stayed for the potluck lunch, which was good, but soon we'd had enough English so we headed home, for the dreaded Sunday afternoon of homework.