Sunday, February 20, 2005

This weekend

Actually I guess I'll start with Monday, Valentine's Day. It's not such a commercialized holiday here as in the States, but it's still celebrated. USFQ was selling roses for charity, and a group of us girls went out for sushi. It wasn't the good and too expensive so we were disappointed, but oh well. We were going to go out afterward, but then everyone decided they were poor, underdressed, and busy, haha. I felt like calling people that evening tho, so I tried Julie, Travis, Amanda, my sisters, and I'm not even sure who all else, everyone seemed to be out and about but I did get to talk to Travis and Amanda. It was fun to hear voices from home, and Amanda even mentioned that she and a friend might come visit for Spring Break the 26th of Feb! I was super excited but tried not to get my hopes up. By the time they decided on tickets, they were all too expensive tho:(... I guess I'll survive. You just better come visit Le and I in KS this summer, eh Esh?
Tuesday I called home-home to wish the padrecito a happy 47th bday..gettin up there!:) I told him to save me a piece of cake, and hopefully by now the card I sent will have arrived as well. Love you!
Thursday I skipped TKD and pulled an all-nighter (almost, I slept 2.5 hours) writing the short story I should have been working on all week. I didn't end it the way I wanted cuz I got tired of writing, but the first part turned out well. It was about a married couple, where the wife works in the jungle at a research station all year and only comes home every December, which is a true situation cuz I met a woman like that in the Amazon. Of course I made up all my own details, but how weird would that be?
Friday was fun! After a nap in the evening, we all met at Liz's house and went out to a club called Tavú. We got there at 11, it was pretty sparse yet, and were the only gringas (USAmericans) there, which was cool with us. We just hung out for a while until Ann requested a Beyoncé song and then we couldn't help but all jump up when it came on. A group of guys came over and we all found someone to dance with and it was cool for a while. Then, however, Esteban seemed to have the idea that after a couple songs dancing with me, he would be my partner for the whole night. Raq and Kathleen had the same problem. *Exasperated sigh* And Esteban didn't even know salsa, which is what I wanted to dance! (Tavú plays a little of everything). After a while, we all escaped up to a platform where a bunch of people were dancing, and there was no room for the boys. We eventually found other people to dance with and it was all a good time, tho none of them salsa'd much...next time I guess. And Liz, Ann, Kathleen, and Raq and I always have a good time together, they crack me up. So we left when they turned the lights up and started sweeping at about 5.30am, and I woke up at 2.30pm the next day:). Then I got to talk to my parents for free cuz they figured out how to use skype (www.skype.com-- you all should try it) and that was great cuz we hadn't had a long conversation since I've been here.
Last night we had a BCA girls nite and Andreas house (she's from Manchester College), and just ate pizza and brownies and apple crisp, had a piñata for Hannah and Julia's bdays next week, and watched movies. A nice relaxing evening after the 2 previous nites of little sleep. And so here I am today, after skipping church and taking a nap, and not reading the massive amount of material that I put off this week for other things so that I can attend to the far more important business of updating you all on my caprichos. I really am going to go read now, so have a splendid week all!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?