About Me
- Name: Well
- Location: Washington, DC, United States
I'm not good at journaling. But I do like my Mac. And I often have random bits of ideas float through my head that I wish I could pin down in a portable format. Hence, this blog: a place for outward commentary, and digital logging of things I might want to remember later.
Links
Archives
Sunday, April 10, 2005
Which brings us to yesterday!
I slept in, then ate lunch with David, Antonio, Maria Julia (the grandkids) and my Ecuaparents-- delicious as usual. Antonio, Julia and I played a Wizard of Oz bored game (typo intentional) for a while, but it couldn't even hold the kids' attention for very long, so we played outside instead, with me doing a lot of spinning lil children through the air:). They're so cute! I decided I'd get more work done later at Raq's house, so I went over there in the afternoon, but, as I suppose I should have predicted, we just helped each other procrastinate. Oh well. Ah, I forgot to mention that each Chilean painting from the museum was tied to a poem by an indigenous Chilean poet, Elicura Chihuailaf, whose poems, coupled with a poetry translation project for her Translation class, had awakened in Raquel a new love of poetry. So we spent a couple hours paging through poetry books, trying to translate some, and on my part at least, enjoying the high I always get from well-weaved words.
Ramón Prieto y Romero.
Melodía Muda.
Yo quiero cantar,
pero
las palabras
se deshacen entre mis manos.
Las palabras que sean
Ojos del sueño,
horizontes líricos,
barcos
de mares vírgenes,
brazos de mi espíritu,
logaritmos de mis canciones.
Las palabras desnudas
alas
de mi frente
alas
que no hubiesen jamás volado;
las palabras que sean
campanas del éxtasis,
rocío
de las futuras albas
Las palabras
que nadie ha pronunciado nunca
LAS PALABRAS
My unprofessional translation:
Mute Melody
I want to sing, but
the words
melt in my hands.
The words that are
Eyes of the dream,
boats
of virgin seas,
arms of my spirit,
logarithms of my songs.
The naked words
wings
of my forehead
wings
that would never have flown;
the words that are
bells of ecstasy,
dew
of future dawns
The words
that no one has ever pronounced
THE WORDS
(Consequently I myself only managed to stitch together a paragraph for the short story I have to turn in Monday, so it's going to be another late night tonite finishing that.) We made a quick trip to the mall so Raq could get shoes before we went out, then Kathleen, Ann, Raq, Liz, and I all met to go to the Cuban concert. Liz is back!:) Her family and then a girlfriend from the States came to visit over the last like 2.5 weeks, so we've barely seen her. The concert was quite entertaining. Complete with Cabaret girls in bras with tassels and short-short skirts that didn't even attempt to cover their butts, quite amusing. The dancers and singers were good, we even knew a couple of the songs, and they were selling Mojitos and empanadas too, so we enjoyed ourselves. When the concert ended, Daniel called Raq to see what we were doing, and we decided to stop by their apartment and then go out somewhere. Except by the time we got there we were all pretty chilled out, and the whole going out thing kind of died. The guys made piña coladas and we just hung out on the roof of their apartment building instead, chatting and enjoying the view (this city is so pretty sometimes I can't believe I get to live here).En fin, now here I am, having slept in again and missed church. I might go to the evening service of my host parent's church if I make some headway on this short story. Kathleen's coming over in a bit--right now, that must be her ringing the doorbell, so I'll be off. Have a great week all!!
I slept in, then ate lunch with David, Antonio, Maria Julia (the grandkids) and my Ecuaparents-- delicious as usual. Antonio, Julia and I played a Wizard of Oz bored game (typo intentional) for a while, but it couldn't even hold the kids' attention for very long, so we played outside instead, with me doing a lot of spinning lil children through the air:). They're so cute! I decided I'd get more work done later at Raq's house, so I went over there in the afternoon, but, as I suppose I should have predicted, we just helped each other procrastinate. Oh well. Ah, I forgot to mention that each Chilean painting from the museum was tied to a poem by an indigenous Chilean poet, Elicura Chihuailaf, whose poems, coupled with a poetry translation project for her Translation class, had awakened in Raquel a new love of poetry. So we spent a couple hours paging through poetry books, trying to translate some, and on my part at least, enjoying the high I always get from well-weaved words.
Ramón Prieto y Romero.
Melodía Muda.
Yo quiero cantar,
pero
las palabras
se deshacen entre mis manos.
Las palabras que sean
Ojos del sueño,
horizontes líricos,
barcos
de mares vírgenes,
brazos de mi espíritu,
logaritmos de mis canciones.
Las palabras desnudas
alas
de mi frente
alas
que no hubiesen jamás volado;
las palabras que sean
campanas del éxtasis,
rocío
de las futuras albas
Las palabras
que nadie ha pronunciado nunca
LAS PALABRAS
My unprofessional translation:
Mute Melody
I want to sing, but
the words
melt in my hands.
The words that are
Eyes of the dream,
boats
of virgin seas,
arms of my spirit,
logarithms of my songs.
The naked words
wings
of my forehead
wings
that would never have flown;
the words that are
bells of ecstasy,
dew
of future dawns
The words
that no one has ever pronounced
THE WORDS
(Consequently I myself only managed to stitch together a paragraph for the short story I have to turn in Monday, so it's going to be another late night tonite finishing that.) We made a quick trip to the mall so Raq could get shoes before we went out, then Kathleen, Ann, Raq, Liz, and I all met to go to the Cuban concert. Liz is back!:) Her family and then a girlfriend from the States came to visit over the last like 2.5 weeks, so we've barely seen her. The concert was quite entertaining. Complete with Cabaret girls in bras with tassels and short-short skirts that didn't even attempt to cover their butts, quite amusing. The dancers and singers were good, we even knew a couple of the songs, and they were selling Mojitos and empanadas too, so we enjoyed ourselves. When the concert ended, Daniel called Raq to see what we were doing, and we decided to stop by their apartment and then go out somewhere. Except by the time we got there we were all pretty chilled out, and the whole going out thing kind of died. The guys made piña coladas and we just hung out on the roof of their apartment building instead, chatting and enjoying the view (this city is so pretty sometimes I can't believe I get to live here).En fin, now here I am, having slept in again and missed church. I might go to the evening service of my host parent's church if I make some headway on this short story. Kathleen's coming over in a bit--right now, that must be her ringing the doorbell, so I'll be off. Have a great week all!!
Comments:
<< Home
Hilary,
Cool pictures! Your link (guayasamin.com) was spelled wrong, but I'm sure others figured it out as I did. It's nice to read snippets about what you all are doing, since Rachel never writes. Have fun!
Mike Wigginton (AMERPARENT)
Post a Comment
Cool pictures! Your link (guayasamin.com) was spelled wrong, but I'm sure others figured it out as I did. It's nice to read snippets about what you all are doing, since Rachel never writes. Have fun!
Mike Wigginton (AMERPARENT)
<< Home
