About Me
- Name: Well
- Location: Washington, DC, United States
I'm not good at journaling. But I do like my Mac. And I often have random bits of ideas float through my head that I wish I could pin down in a portable format. Hence, this blog: a place for outward commentary, and digital logging of things I might want to remember later.
Links
Archives
Monday, July 11, 2005
June
Father's Day 
Being home for Father's Day was a nice change from the past couple years, and, although I'm sure the mere gift of my presence was enough for him, I did get my dad a t-shirt in Ecuador. It's a painting by Guayasamin, the famous artist I mentioned on here earlier. I wasn't sure I got the right size though, so I also got him the electric knife he wanted. He actually had to borrow our friend Cindy's to help make Father's Day dinner, so it was needed. I also gave him a break from helping me decide on a car. We'd just spent the last 3 days test driving, internet researching, and generally agonizing over the differences between a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla. Chels couldn't come down cuz she had to work, but Emily and Ann were there, along with Grandma, Grandpa and David.
Grandpa got a homemade cheesecake, by Mom, and
a "gift certificate" for another one, his choice of flavor.
I went to Manhattan on a Wednesday night to visit my sister and some high school friends. I also got to see Brownwyn, a friend who just got engaged! --and in Paris of all places (no, not at the Eiffel Tower, at dinner after a show at the Moulin Rouge). I took some pictures of the Kansas landscape on my way up there, to give people an idea of what it really looks like.

Other than that I didn't really take any, except this one that I
thought was funny. Me in a cowboy hat, cuz I'm such a country girl, haha. It was great to see Court and Bronwyn and Tray. I didn't get to see Emily much cuz she had to study and work a lot while I was there, but hopefully I'll make it up there again when she's not so busy. Tray and I went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant, got to practice a little bit of my Spanish. And he informed me that I must come to Manhattan on a Thursday after my 21st birthday so that we
can all go out. I started salsa lessons again this week[:D] so maybe there'll be a latin club we can go to. Court and Bronwyn and I went out to a great Thai place, and Wednesday night I just stayed at Courtney's and hung out with her, Meaghan Keuck, and a roommate who popped in and out. It was definitely a good break from Hutch and the routine
of working. Plus, Bronwyn told me that she'll be back in Hutch most weekends to work at her dad's vet's office! Yay, I'll have a friend, haha. She actually came over 2 nights ago to hot tub. 
One other little project of the summer was helping Ann Marie repaint her room. She was inspired by a Modest Mouse CD cover, so we scraped the popcorn-texture crap off the ceiling, painted it, painted pink stripes, taped over them, painted the walls green, and viol'a!-- new room. She took over Chels' room and has made it her own. Chels came home last wkend and liked it though.

I think it was that same weekend that I went to church for the first time too cuz I had Sunday morning off, and my friend Adam was there. His mom invited me and Marcus, another youth-grouper, over for lunch and we had a good time catching up. He goes to Bethel, so I'm gonna try to go up sometime and see a performance by a local theater company that he's a fan of.
Did I mention I'm currently waitressing at Prairie Dunes Country Club, home of
the 2002 US Women's Open and the 2006 US Sr. Men's Open? That's right, I'm serving mankind by serving food to rich white people all day, haha. No, actually, I like it; the people I work with are fun, the club is 4mins from my house and we get paid a set hourly wage so we don't have to worry about tips (we're not usually that busy during the day). Plus I know some of the members that are friend's parents or that go to my church, etc, and it's cool to see them when they come in. I have, however discovered the startling news that there is a swingers set among the Hutchinson "elite," and I know some of the couples-- very weird indeed. Anyway, I have an appointment at the local Domestic Violence Center on Wed. though, to talk to the director about working with their Crisis Line. I decided I needed to do something a little more meaningful along with waitressing. Since I got hired at the Dunes before I got hired at the Mexican restaurant, I'm not speaking any Spanish really, which is very sad, but I just didn't want 2 waitressing jobs.
Anyway, I'm on my way to Wichita to take this laptop in cuz it's acting up lately, so hope everyone's having a great summer!
...
8 days till Amanda and Le come to visit
12 days till my dad gives his faith story at church
27 days till I'm 21
30 days till I go to Manhattan to celebrate
4 days till I get my new car!
39 days till I leave for Goshen
88 days till Fall Break, when we visit Kathleen and Liz in Rhode Island
2hrs 8min till I go to work

Being home for Father's Day was a nice change from the past couple years, and, although I'm sure the mere gift of my presence was enough for him, I did get my dad a t-shirt in Ecuador. It's a painting by Guayasamin, the famous artist I mentioned on here earlier. I wasn't sure I got the right size though, so I also got him the electric knife he wanted. He actually had to borrow our friend Cindy's to help make Father's Day dinner, so it was needed. I also gave him a break from helping me decide on a car. We'd just spent the last 3 days test driving, internet researching, and generally agonizing over the differences between a Honda Civic and a Toyota Corolla. Chels couldn't come down cuz she had to work, but Emily and Ann were there, along with Grandma, Grandpa and David.
Grandpa got a homemade cheesecake, by Mom, and
a "gift certificate" for another one, his choice of flavor.I went to Manhattan on a Wednesday night to visit my sister and some high school friends. I also got to see Brownwyn, a friend who just got engaged! --and in Paris of all places (no, not at the Eiffel Tower, at dinner after a show at the Moulin Rouge). I took some pictures of the Kansas landscape on my way up there, to give people an idea of what it really looks like.

Other than that I didn't really take any, except this one that I
thought was funny. Me in a cowboy hat, cuz I'm such a country girl, haha. It was great to see Court and Bronwyn and Tray. I didn't get to see Emily much cuz she had to study and work a lot while I was there, but hopefully I'll make it up there again when she's not so busy. Tray and I went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant, got to practice a little bit of my Spanish. And he informed me that I must come to Manhattan on a Thursday after my 21st birthday so that we
can all go out. I started salsa lessons again this week[:D] so maybe there'll be a latin club we can go to. Court and Bronwyn and I went out to a great Thai place, and Wednesday night I just stayed at Courtney's and hung out with her, Meaghan Keuck, and a roommate who popped in and out. It was definitely a good break from Hutch and the routine
of working. Plus, Bronwyn told me that she'll be back in Hutch most weekends to work at her dad's vet's office! Yay, I'll have a friend, haha. She actually came over 2 nights ago to hot tub. 
One other little project of the summer was helping Ann Marie repaint her room. She was inspired by a Modest Mouse CD cover, so we scraped the popcorn-texture crap off the ceiling, painted it, painted pink stripes, taped over them, painted the walls green, and viol'a!-- new room. She took over Chels' room and has made it her own. Chels came home last wkend and liked it though.


I think it was that same weekend that I went to church for the first time too cuz I had Sunday morning off, and my friend Adam was there. His mom invited me and Marcus, another youth-grouper, over for lunch and we had a good time catching up. He goes to Bethel, so I'm gonna try to go up sometime and see a performance by a local theater company that he's a fan of.
Did I mention I'm currently waitressing at Prairie Dunes Country Club, home of
the 2002 US Women's Open and the 2006 US Sr. Men's Open? That's right, I'm serving mankind by serving food to rich white people all day, haha. No, actually, I like it; the people I work with are fun, the club is 4mins from my house and we get paid a set hourly wage so we don't have to worry about tips (we're not usually that busy during the day). Plus I know some of the members that are friend's parents or that go to my church, etc, and it's cool to see them when they come in. I have, however discovered the startling news that there is a swingers set among the Hutchinson "elite," and I know some of the couples-- very weird indeed. Anyway, I have an appointment at the local Domestic Violence Center on Wed. though, to talk to the director about working with their Crisis Line. I decided I needed to do something a little more meaningful along with waitressing. Since I got hired at the Dunes before I got hired at the Mexican restaurant, I'm not speaking any Spanish really, which is very sad, but I just didn't want 2 waitressing jobs.Anyway, I'm on my way to Wichita to take this laptop in cuz it's acting up lately, so hope everyone's having a great summer!
...
8 days till Amanda and Le come to visit
12 days till my dad gives his faith story at church
27 days till I'm 21
30 days till I go to Manhattan to celebrate
4 days till I get my new car!
39 days till I leave for Goshen
88 days till Fall Break, when we visit Kathleen and Liz in Rhode Island
2hrs 8min till I go to work